Real Housewives: Unexpected Phone Calls…and How to Make Them Go Your Way

**A post from a Real Housewife of Team Scrappy

Every triathlon wife knows to leave your phone on while the mister is out on a bike ride. This can be inconvenient, especially in the early morning, as 1) you must be diligent about ensuring that your phone is charged and ringer on, even if you are sleepy/sleeping; and 2) you actually hope the phone never rings!

But, sometimes it does. And usually it’s fine, just a little inconvenient. E.g., just when you are walking out the door to work, or in the midst of a dream about a bed made of chocolate chip cookie brownies. Alas, sometimes you have to put those wifely duties into action.

On a recent day when Brett conveniently got a flat tire … and the spare he had somehow already had a hole in it… (bad Nashbar!) the ringing of my phone jolted me from my peaceful morning reverie just as I was heading out the door to the office. A few minutes later, I had a Zipcar booked and was on the way to pick up my man, knowing I would be late for work, which is like nails on a chalkboard to me. But (and here’s where the insider tip comes in…) I did it cheerfully, because who wants their poor husband with blistery post-race feet to have to walk a few miles home in the early morning? In bike shoes? And since I was smiley when I picked him up, he offered to drive me to work. For us carless folks, actually being driven somewhere in the city is a little mind-blowing, so I can’t tell you how happy I was that he suggested to do this. Thanks to the lift, I was able to make it to work on time, with even with a few minutes to stop at Wired Puppy for some iced coffee and Umpqua Oats!

Moral: Good deeds can sometimes help YOU too! Save up those little extra favors (like being driven to work) and cash them in on days when you smilingly have to go out of your way for your triathlete. This can be applied in many ways – for Brooke, it could be saved up for a trip to the outlets when Gered doesn’t want to go! Mwahaha!